swell.

swell.
off Costa Head, west coast orkney

Thursday 25 February 2010

Work, Wind and Snow

Pickie Terno is looking rather lost and cold lying in my front garden!
Apart from a quick dip in the swimming pool last weekend I haven't managed to get out in her this month!
I was out in the North isle of Sanday re-building a stone gable end this week. The house I was working on is called 'Strangquoy' This tidal race, which is just below the house is called the 'Lashy Sound' and looked pretty exciting this morning!
This is during an Ebb tide running against the strong force 6-7 Northerly winds that was battering us as we were building.
.

My workmate Damian doing the grafting while I took the photos! Bit cold for building but we were out there to do a job... Below is Lashy Sound again from a distance with the Calf of Eday behind. I haven't paddled this area yet but certainly plan to do so. During the Flood tide there are no standing waves but it does flow nice and fast!



Below is the reason that paddling got scuppered last weekend.. Orkney tradition that if you are getting married the groom gets 'Blackened'(tarred and feathered) and driven around town on the back of a lorry for all to see!.I am not the groom, before any rumours start, I just got involved with a friend's Blackening and you can't help but get in a bit of a mess !
After we all got cleaned up a large drinking session was called for (6.30 AM before I got finished..oops).



Although the wind and snow has returned with vengeance today I really must get out on the sea.. I bought a dry suit weeks ago and have a 4* Leader assessment to get ready for in April!..


No comments:

Post a Comment